Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thing 8# Databases and Search Tools.

The students and teachers are excited to use SweetSearch.com.  Both have found it much less cumbersome than weeding through everything at Google or Google Scholar.  Even though the College Prep students and PIG students are near completion of their projects this semester we introduced the search tool to them anyway.  So far, some of them have found it very useful for those last minute entries they may have needed to polish up their presentations.

In East Greenbush, especially in the high school,  we rely on the webmaster at Questar to handle any revisions and updates on our webpages.  I have asked the webmaster to add SweetSearch to our library's webpage as well as WSWHE.  We already link to Questar III and Overdrive but WSWHE has many other areas our students and teachers can explore.  I love BrainPop at WSWHE's site.  What a great search tool.  I can see upper elementary and middle school students having a ball with that.

Ed Kilmartin is an assistant principal in our HS and he heads the technology committee.  Through out this assignment I forwarded him anything that has excited me.  SweetSearch was the most recent and he wrote right back and told me how much he liked it as well.  When we saw each other in the hallway later in the week he asked me where I was finding all these great resources.  I forwarded him the entire Cool Tools page to let him browse through all of our Things and blogs.  I can't wait to hear what he has to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment