Sunday, May 20, 2012

Thing #9 eReaders and lending

Columbia HS owns 16 Kindles and 5 Nooks.  The Kindles have 54 books loaded on them both purchased and "free" through Amazon.  One Nook has 20 books on it.  The other 4 haven't got anything on them yet because they are brand new. 

Our Nook and Kindles have been circulating all year.  Both students and teachers have signed them out.  The students need a signed permission slip from home in order to borrow a reader.

During the year I have shown both teachers and students how to use Overdrive through the QuestarIII SLS site.  At this point I'm not sure how many are actually using it.

Individual teachers who own their own Kindles have practiced "sharing" books with us through the Amazon site.  We have found though that either the books aren't allowed to be borrowed or once the book is borrowed it can't be loaned again.

For this assignment I checked out BookFriend.me for the Nooks.  Since I personally own a Nook Tablet I thought this would be a cool site to get to know so I'd be able to borrow books from Nook Friends.  The other site I have been navigating through is Lendle.

Both sites had to be set up at home because the school's server is just too slow and having a hard time handling these.   I have found in the early stages of exploration, the BookFriend to be more user-friendly.  Lendle just seems to be more complicated to use at least for me.

I have decided to look at the Nook as a reader to hold onto because Barnes and Noble is a local company and very easy to  communicate with.  As the Kindles break or wear out we plan to replace them with Nooks.  The Kindle support, to say the least isn't school friendly and they are out on the west coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment